What should the web site achieve?
- Expand the reach of the Centre to those who are geographically removed. This should facilitate the administration of distance learning programmes both directly to students and through remote facilitators who would use the site access material for courses they deliver.
- Serve as an information repository for students and teachers, providing documents, audio and visual material for download and database of references.
- Facilitate exchange of information by way of discussion forums, comments on blogs/essays/articles and personal interactions between teachers and students.
- Provide information about the Centre’s course offerings, timetables etc.
- Provide for on-line registration for courses and programmes.
This (Drupal) framework that the existing site content will be moved over to will provide the following fuctionality:
- Blog with navigation via chronologically arranged summaries, hierarchical menus, keywords and search box.
- Comments on blog posts. Comments may be posted by all (public) or restricted to registered users only – configurable.
- Pages with menu navigation containing information, newsletters etc.
- Summary page showing most recent content.
- Facility to attach files to posts for download.
- Calendar for date based information.
- All content posted on the site will accommodate text formatting and in-line insertion of images and video clips.
- Links to other sites including facebook.
- Forms for course registration etc. These can be designed online by a non – rocket scientist user.
Work includes the following
- ConfigureDrupal site to accommodate existing JCSS web site content.
- Move existing JCSS content to new site.
- Move remaining blog posts to new site.
- Fine tune navigation, layout and theme.
- Test new site.
- Hand holding and support.
- Migrate installation to server hosting JCSS domain.
This installation can be extended by re-configuring or adding modules to accommodate the following:
- Discussion forums.
- Restricted access areas for students, staff etc.
- File repository.
- Image galleries.
- Multi-user blogs. Users with the right permissions can each have their own blog.
- Payment gateway via PayPal.
- Bibliography and reference database.
- Post and comment via email.
- Sync calendar with iCal – details to be clarified.